1.07.2011

2010 into 2011

The last few days of 2010 and the beginning of 2011 were so wonderful.  We got to spend Christmas Eve with my family here in town, which was absolutely wonderful.  Christmas Eve has always been a big deal in the Sward/Woodfin family.  Growing up, it was when all the extended family would eat together, exchange gifts and sing carols.  Now that we are all grown up, we spend it with a lot less of the extended family, but still as much fun! :-)  My mom decorated the house so beautifully and had the dining room table set with china, wine glasses, and candles.  This year we decided to have a mexican fiesta.  Past years we have had lasanga, so this year we changed it up with Mexican lasagna and yummy side dishes.  Of course dinner wouldn't be dinner without the famous, traditional, Crandberry Cake w/ Butter Sauce (I will have to post this recipe sometime, AMAZING).  After we ate, we gathered in the living room to exchange gifts.  I think the BEST part about the gifts is that so many of us made items for each other.  We then ended the evening with watching The Christmas Carol (animated version with Jim Carrey).  I know it made everyone, especially my parents, so happy that we were able to all be in town this year for Christmas Eve.

Before TJ and I went to bed on Christmas Eve, we laid about a dozen dog treats on the living room floor so that Zoe would go crazy with excitement and eat them all up Christmas morning. (I know, I know....we sound like WEIRDO Dog owners, but who cares...no kids yet, so until then Zoe gets Christmas treats. haha).  Needless to say she was in treat heaven the next morning.  This was actually the first Christmas that Tj and I woke up in our home...I lovde it!

So, our plan was to spend Christmas Day together at home and then driving to New Jersey on Sunday to see his family.  We opened stockings and gifts (Santa brought some beautiful jewelry to me), made breakfast, and watched a movie.  Then TJ's parents called and said there was lots of snow coming to Jersey within the day.  Now we had the decision of braving the drive on Christmas Day or delaying our trip a few days.  We decided to leave that day and hurried to pack our suitcases and load up the car.  Xmas Road Trip it was!

We arrived in NJ at about 2:30am and surprisingly only hit snow in parts of NC and VA.  The rest of the trip was smooth sailing.  Once we got to NJ, his parents woke up to greet us, we chatted, and unwound from the drive.  Crazy, but we actually opened presents and stockings in the middle of the night before heading to bed. haha!  The next morning the snow started and didn't stop for over 24 hours.  We got over 2ft. and blizzard weather for another day.  It was insane and a Christmas dream come true. :-)

The week in Jersey was great.  It started with 2 days of being snowed in, staying in our pj's till the afternoon, movies, coffee, homemade Turkey Soup, and of course playing in the snow!  In the middle of the week, the whole family headed into NYC to see West Side Story on Broadway and then had dinner at the Blue Fin Restaurant.  It was a wonderful day!!  I love that TJ's mom so enjoys going to see plays.  The rest of the week was full of family get togethers and meeting up with old friends of TJ's from highschool and college.  It's always so great to get up North to see all the family, especially our nephew Nicholas.  He is 2 years old and the star of the family.  Every gathering is the Nicholas Show.  Such a cutie!

For New Years Eve, TJ and I went to a place called Mexicali Blues to see a Grateful Dead Tribute band and also to catch up with an old friend of TJ's.  It was a great night!  It's always fun bringing in the New Year with a bunch of people!  By midnight I was so ready for bed though! LoL.  Is that an age thing or just from having a busy week? haha.

Well, I feel like I was all over the place with what we did over the holidays.  I did not intend on writing so much, but I did.  Tomorrow I will write something a little more creative and thoughtful.  Tonight I just felt like ending my holidays with a recap.

Although I am a week late, I would like to wish everyone a HAPPY NEW YEAR!  May this be the year that dreams come true!

No comments:

Post a Comment

You may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...