4.11.2011

Luella's Recipe

Lately I have been having hankerin's (yes, hankerin's) for waffles.  I was given a waffle maker for a wedding gift that I have used a handful of times over the past two years.  I typically use the Trader Joe's pancake mix and it's very yummy and much better for you than bisquick (this has aluminum in it, so i would steer clear of this).  Anyway, after talking to my mom one day, she mentioned that her grandma (my great grandma) had a FABULOUS buttermilk pancake recipe.  I had to make them!  So, after going to get the needed ingredients, I made them one morning for TJ & I.  WOW, they were great.  It was so easy to make and even easier to eat! lol.  What I did was make the whole batch and then I froze what we didn't eat.  TJ and I are loving the homemade frozen waffles this week!

Before I post the recipe for all of you to make and devour, I wanted to do a little post dedication to the orginator of this recipe, my Great Grandmother, Luella Hatleli.

I was two years old when I met my Great Grandma, but unfortunately I have no memories at all.  So, I only have the passed down memories from my Mom and Aunt Cheryl.  Nevertheless, they are memories that should be preserved.  Thanks to all the amazing work of my Aunt Cheryl and Ancestry.com, I have a wonderful resource of information that she has collected of our family tree.

Olga Luella Moen was born August 12, 1910 in Albert Lea, MN.  She was born a twin, number nine in a lineup of fourteen children. Unfortunately her twin sister, Valborg, died at birth.   Her childhood was 
spent on the family farm, surrounded by her family. Not only her large immediate family were close, but a community of extended family lived near the family homestead. In land adjoinging the farm, lived her Grandma Olson, who Luella stayed with at times when Aunt Josie was away. Those were fun times for young Luella.
The Moen farm was within walking distance of Lunder Lutheran Church and the church played a vital role in Luella's life. The faith planted within Luella as a child remained her anchor throughout her adult life as well. Later in life she referred to her church life as a fulfillment of the scripture, "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.  Luella always had a song in her heart. . .but she didn't sing it. . .she whistled it. In fact, she whistled melodies so much that her father gave her the nickname, "my little bird".
When Luella was 18 years old, she was introduced to a young man named Martin Hatleli. He, too, was raised in Freeborn County. The two hit it off, and began dating. A typical date consisted of a movie, followed by a stop at the Chocolate Shop or Candy Kitchen for ice cream. Two years after they met, on February 3, 1930, Luella and Martin were married.
 They lived a full and happy life with four beautiful children.  My grandmother, Marliss, was their youngest (a twin too!).  
As a farmer's wife, she excelled. Luella loved to garden, and growing strawberries was her specialty. A fresh bowl of strawberries with cream and sugar was everyone's favorite. Luella was not a 'fancy' cook, but she could make a meal of fresh produce from her garden by simply adding a loaf of homemade bread and butter.
Luella was a prize donut maker. Always an early riser, this was especially true on a donut making day. And the result. . . was a delicious batch of donuts ready for midmorning coffee. Luella was a joyful woman who always loved to laugh. Those who knew her were affected by her infectious giggles.  And, of course being from Minnesota, she said "Uff Da" a whole lot!  


Here are a few photos of Luella Hatleli!
This is SUPER cute!  Notice the big bow in her hair.
Glamorous!

Luella and her beautiful twin girls, Marliss & Marlene.  I believe the baby on the left is my Grandma!

I LOVE this photo of my Great Grandparents with cameras in their hands. <3

Luella & Martin with 3 of their great grandkids.
(Michael, Cristina, & ME (I am on Grandpa's lap)

Joyful!

I wish I could have known my great grandma and gotten to ask her baking and gardening questions.  But, I am thankful for memories from those who knew her!

Luella's Buttermilk Pancake/Waffle Recipe
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups buttermilk
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3 tsp. baking soda
  • 3 tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp butter (soft)
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • Mix the dry ingredients together
  • Add eggs, buttermilk, & butter
  • Mix batter until fluffy (i left batter slightly lumpy)
  • For waffles, I used about 1/3 cup of batter for each waffle

This was such a simple and delicious recipe.  If you make this, I'd love to hear how it turned out.  Why not try freezing them too!



I would be so appreciative if you wouldn't mind voting for The Yellow Pepper at Picket Fence Blogs by clicking on the link below.  One click is all it takes! :-)


4 comments:

  1. love this! I would love to know all of that history about my family. and so many twins! you guys better watch out! :) i was just thinking about how crazy it would have been to have twins back then. wowza. you probably wouldn't even know it was twins until you had them

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rebekah, great post!! I don't remember that picture being taken. Was that when your mom, grandma and I went to Minnesota? That was so cool to see. Great job on the photo's and recipe blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm going to try this tomorrow morning! we have buttermilk sitting in our fridge that i need to use :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where did you get those cute measuring bowls?!

    also, I love waffles, they are one of the best things on earth.

    ReplyDelete

You may also like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...